Tuesday, June 19, 2012

6/17 Father’ Day Leaving Dawson City

We left the camp ground at 7:30am we didn’t hook up the jeep until we got across the river, which was after the ferry ride. Once across we hooked up and started the Top of the World Highway. We had a lot of road then dirt/gravel, to tell the truth the dirt/gravel was a lot better then the paved highway. With so much dirt/gravel road I told Dave we were off roading in the RV. At 10am be got to the U.S. Border, Dave gave them our passports and said we were from Arizona I said Florida. The guy walks back to look at our license plate then went into the booth to check our passports, I just knew we were going to get search, which really didn’t matter because we had nothing, but he let us go through. The U.S. road was so much worse then the Canada side. I thought by the time we got parked today that every nut and bolt would be loose in the RV and Jeep. Once we got into Alaska we lost an hour, so the time was now 9am. We stopped along the way to Chicken and walk around the RV and stretch our legs and while I was standing by the RV a Grouse (bird)  came right up to me, I ran into the RV and got my camera, it was still there and I starting snapping pictures. The other people that were stopped there too came over and started taking pictures too, it was neat. Later on  while I was on animal spotting patrol I saw a Moose up ahead. Dave stopped so it could cross the road in front of us, I snapped pictures of that too. We stopped in Chicken, AK and had sourdough Waffles and Reindeer sausages, for breakfast. (I had bacon but did taste the sausage)

We got to Tok around 1:15pm and stopped at the Visitor Center to see what they had to offer. Chuck and Carol were there and staying at the Sourdough RV Park, so we decided to stay there too. We stayed longer at the Center and when we left we made a wrong turn. I said earlier in a blog that if you miss a stopping spot you could drive miles and miles before you could turn around. Well, needless to say we had to drive like 12 miles before we could turn around and go back into Tok and turn the right way to go to the RV Park. By the time we got there and saw Chuck and Carol again they said they thought we had changed our minds and decided to stay somewhere else. Anyway, the RV Park had a car wash, so we all washed the RV’s and our cars.

Dave and I tried to do some Geo Caches but believe me these people hide those caches so deep in the woods we were afraid of deer ticks or what ever else was out there so we gave up on them. At 7pm at the RV Park they had the sourdough pancake toss. If you made it into the bucket you got a free breakfast in the morning. Dave and I didn’t make it, I got kind of close. I didn’t see Dave’s tosses because I had gone back to the RV to get my camera. Carol and Chuck made theirs. After the toss a bunch of the campers sat around a fire and were doing smores, or at least trying to, fire wasn’t that great. We all sat around and shared stories, it was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment