Tuesday, June 19, 2012

6/18 Fairbanks Alaska

We got on the road at 8a.m. Chuck and Carol left before us but we did talk to them and said we would see them up the  road. After an hour I spotted another Moose so Dave slowed down and it ran across the road ahead of us. Along the way there are places that have ads in the Milepost that talk about what they are famous for. One was Delta Meat and Sausage Co, popular place for tours to stop at.  By the time we got there Chuck and Carol were just leaving. Inside they had free samples of Reindeer, Buffalo, Elk, Yak, Beef and Pork. We ended up buying some Buffalo spicy sausages.

Back on the road, oh, by the way, we are driving back on nice highways and doing 55mph instead of 20mph we had averaging the last 2 days. Anyway, Dave this time spots the Moose on the side of the highway, can’t believe it just stood there grazing. It did manage to lift its head when we went by, but I just couldn’t believe that. My brother, Mike, had said they were stupid animals, when he went hunting for one, I guess he was right. (I know Mike, you are always right)

Another ad, in the Milepost, was “The Knotty Shop” their ad showed a picture of a giant mosquito made out of knotty wood, plus, they offered a free ice cream cone if you stopped by and showed them their ad. Free ice cream plus a giant mosquito we had to stop.  Dave will post pictures later but what a nice stop. They had a great Alaskan wildlife display, the hand made wood stuff was really nice. The ice cream was great, it was well worth the stop. Plus, then again, we get a break from driving and stretch the legs.

We got to River’s Edge RV Park, forgot to write down the time, but it was like 1:30pm. After Dave signed us in we had to unhook the jeep before we could park. As unhooking I looked over and a 5th wheel had pulled in and the lady said “Hi”. I said “Hi” back and thought, boy she looks familiar but you end up seeing just about the same crowd either everyday or every couple days because most are all headed in the same direction. As we were parking the RV, who walks over but Carol, there are parked right behind us, too funny. Dave had to go back up to the office and when he did he saw Connie and Matt, who we had met, at the beginning of our trip, and stayed along side with at Dawson Creek. That’s who had said “Hi” to me and when all I did was say “Hi” back and nothing else she thought that I was pissed off or something. Dave comes back to the RV and said “Connie wants to know why you didn’t talk to her” I said Damn, that’s who that was. I knew she looked familiar, I just couldn’t  place who it was, oh well, sorry about that. After we got all set up we went over and visited for awhile.

Then Dave and I hit the road for Sam’s Club, needed a few things plus wanted to put fuel in the jeep. Also driving around town you get to check out all the diesel prices. Sam’s Club for diesel was $4.28 all the others are $4.35. Much better then Canada, we were paying $6. or greater.

We got back to the RV and had dinner. Carol and Chuck invited us over for dinner tomorrow night (Tuesday) and Matt and Connie asked if we would like to do a dinner cruise with them on Wednesday. It was “yes” to Carol and Chuck and a “no” to Matt and Connie. Wednesday night, Dave wants to call into the BOD meeting at Habitat because the 1st family, that the FSC picked, is being presented to the BOD. He really wants to be a part of that. We will have to figure out something else we can do with Matt and Connie.

After dinner I looked up some of the places Guy Fieri, from Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, has been too. There just so happens to be 3 here in Fairbanks. One is called “Hot Licks”, which is an ice cream place. After dinner we went and washed the jeep again, got muddy after the geo cache in Tok" then on to the ice cream place. The people were lined up and it’s 9pm, we both got an ice cream cone and believe me its wasn’t cheap, but it was good. May try and hit up the other places for lunch if we get a chance.

After ice cream we visited again with Matt and Connie for awhile, after all it’s only 10pm at night and people are still outside tanning, where I should be. Will see in the morning if I have any bug bites. Before I sign off and then will be completely caught up on the blog there is the visitor guide paper I got, I want to read you something I saw in it.

“FAIRBANKS FUN FACTS” Don’t believe all the horror stories you have heard about Alaska’s mosquitoes. They are not the state bird and are not as bad people say. “THEY ARE WORSE.” Scientists will tell you there are good and bad mosquito years depending on spring weather. THEY ARE WRONG; Mosquitoes are bad every year in Alaska. Needless to say, Maggi, back in AZ. had told me about this recently and I guess this paper has confirmed what she said. At the end of the article it says “The best mosquito repellent is called DEET. Bathe in it. Dave did get the deet lotion for me, I guess I should start bathing in it. Wish me luck, since they seem to love me.

It’s 1:02am I guess I should try and go to bed now. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment